SMAC encoders are made using optical components provided by large volume manufacturers of printers, cameras, cell phones and independent manufacturers of standard mixed signal ASIC semiconductor products used in optical encoders around the world. We use these high reliability optical components that are made in the millions per year to take advantage of the latest manufacturing technologies used in these fields and the latest design features patented by these suppliers. Technologies include using Interlaced Photo Detector Arrays to better balance the light viewed across the photo sensor array and average imperfections in the code pattern of the scale, LED light intensity auto gain to compensate for LED aging and temperature changes and GUI control of the many features selected in the interpolator and signal conditioning ASIC. SMAC has used over 100,000 of their internally designed encoders in their products. They have been able to discover many of the "User Issues" first hand, that would not be normally seen by a manufacturer of encoders and correct these issue in their products quickly.
We will work with you to build custom encoders that fits your project specifications. Please contact us if you don't find that any of our standard products will fill your needs.
- Reflective and diffractive type encoders allow smaller cross-sections with all components on one side of the scale.
- Interlaced optical ASIC’s allow reader head mounting tolerance rotation of ±0.2 MM and gap settings of 0.5 to 1.0 MM for easier installment.
- Small size ASIC’s allow PCB sizes down to 6 MM wide for tighter fits.
- Integrated Optical ASIC interpolators to 16x for 5 Micron linear encoders and 24,000 cpr, 12 MM diameter rotary encoders.
- 20 Micron pitch Diffractive encoder modules with GUI calibrated ASIC interpolation for resolutions down to 50 Nanometers.
- Very compact. Custom packaging available for OEM
- Cost competitive
- Factory calibrated. User programming available for in field optimization.